Surrogacy is one of the methods of the assisted reproductive technologies. This method is relevant for the women, who can’t carry the desired child on their own.
Three parties take part in this program: genetic father, genetic mother and a surrogate mother. This option gives many couples, who are unable to give birth to a babyhope to become parents of their own biological child with the help of surrogate mother.
Who needs a surrogate mother?
In most cases, surrogacy is applied when a family faces the issue of infertility, or a mother can’t give birth to a child due to the following medical indications:
- Absence of uterus (congenital or acquired);
- Deformation of the uterine cavity or cervix due to congenital malformations or as a result of surgical interventions, benign tumours that lead to the impossibility to carry the child development deferrals or due to surgical interventions, benign tumor that impede carrying the child;
- Structural and morphological or anatomic changes of the endometrium that cause the loss of receptivity, uterine synechiae that may not be treated;
- Severe somatic diseases that do not impact the life of the future child, but the pregnancy may endanger the health or life of the recipient;
- Multiple failed ART (4 and more attempts) with multiple high-quality embryos of a high quality mostly that transfer of which in most cases didn’t result in pregnancy.
Only a physically and mentally healthy woman who turned 18 years old has a right to become a surrogate mother. This woman has to have at least one healthy child of her own. The surrogate mother should obtain her husband’s written consent stating that he has nothing against her participation in the surrogacy program.
If you have never had any relation to surrogacy, it is rather hard to find a surrogate mother on your own, that is why the Centre for Reproductive Medicine and its reliable partners will help you!
First and foremost, we carefully examine the candidates to become surrogate mothers, and what is the most important we support the parents-to-be during the whole period of the surrogacy program.
Stages of surrogacy program:
- Appointment in the medical centre for a conversation with a personal coordinator.
- Comprehensive medical examination to identify medical indications to the surrogacy program, define the examination and treatment strategy.
- Synchronization of the intended mother’s and surrogate’s cycles.
- Ovarian stimulation for the intended mother.
- Egg retrieval from the ovaries of the intended mother, egg fertilization with the sperm of the intended father.
- Embryos culture in a special mediar.
- Embryo transfer to the uterine cavity of the surrogate mother.
- hCG test to confirm pregnancy (in 10 days after the embryo transfer).
- Pregnancy care and the supervision of surrogate mother.
- Continuous consultation and supervision during the whole pregnancy.
Who may become a surrogate?
The surrogate mother candidate should meet the following requirements:
- The woman should be younger than 36 years;
- A surrogate mother should have a healthy child of her own to confirm that she is healthy and is able to get pregnant and carry a child.
- Follows a healthy lifestyle.
- Ukrainian citizenship is a compulsory requirement for a surrogate mother.
If you decided to become a surrogate mother, and you are absolutely sure of your decision to help a couple that doesn’t have children by taking part in a surrogacy program, contact us and we will be glad to consult you!