Egg donation is an effective method of achieving pregnancy for the women who are unable to conceive due to the absence or exhaustion of ovaries. The essence of this method lies in fertilization of a donor egg with the partner’s sperm. The growth of successfully fertilized cells is evaluated in a laboratory for 5 days. After that one or two embryos are transferred to the uterine cavity of the female recipient. This method presents a great opportunity to give birth to a child for women, who for some reasons can’t get pregnant using their own eggs.
The donors may be:
- Volunteers (egg donation is anonymous in Ukraine);
- Close relatives (if a woman meets all the requirements for oocyte donor in accordance with the legislation of Ukraine).
Requirements for oocyte donors:
- 18-30 years old;
- One or two healthy children;
- No lactation;
- No bad habits;
- No hereditary diseases;
- Body mass index is normal.
Every woman that expressed a will to become the egg donor should undergo a number of examinations in accordance with the Order of MOH №787 as of 09.09.2013, in particular:
- Gynecological consultation;
- GP consultation;
- Pelvic examination;
- Pelvic ultrasound;
- Blood type and Rh factor;
- Blood test for syphilis, HIV, hepatitis B and C;
- Complete blood count and biochemical blood test;
- Blood coagulation test;
- Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH), Prolactin (PRL), Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), Luteinizing Hormone (LH), Progesterone (P), Estradiol (E2);
- Thyroid Stimulating hormone;
- General urine test;
- Cytological test;
- Vaginal swab;
- Karyotype test;
- Cystic fibrosis;
- Test for TORCH-infections (Ig G and Ig M).
During the period of ovarian stimulation and preparation for egg collection, a doctor takes care of the donor. During the oocyte maturation, it is forbidden for a woman to consume alcohol, smoke, and one should limit an excessive physical activity. She has to follow all the recommendations, provided by doctor, diet and take vitamins. Oocyte donor is forbidden to take any additional medicines without doctor’s approval.
The procedure of oocyte donation consists of the following stages:
- Ovarian stimulation. This process takes 10-12 days. The donor starts taking injections for egg maturation and growth every day.
- The dose for every woman is individually selected and every 2-3 days she comes for an ultrasound to control the growth and size of the ovarian follicles.
- When follicles reach the appropriate maturity level, hCG is injected (to finalize egg maturation);
- In 35 hours after the last injection, the egg collection is performed. This procedure is carried out under general anesthesia; it takes up to 15 minutes and is completely painless. Oocytes are retrieved with a special fine aspiration needle and the course of the procedure is controlled using ultrasound. Every follicle together with the follicular liquid are aspirated.
- After the procedure, the woman wakes up after the anesthesia and in 2-3 hours she can leave the clinic.
- The body needs 3 months to recover. After that (if the one wants) the donor can take part in egg donation program one more time.
If you decided to become an egg donor, you need to take a few steps:
- Contact managers of PARENS Clinic;
- Obtain comprehensive information about oocyte donation and referral for tests at the appointment with a professional;
- Sign all the necessary documents and start preparing for the program.
Important! Information about the donor’s identity and patients is completely anonymous. Our clinic guarantees absolute confidentiality and that no information about the procedure will be disclosed to any third parties.