is a medical procedure that involves inserting a preprepared concentrated sperm of a male partner or a donor into the uterine cavity using a special catheter (a narrow tube) around the time of ovulation.
Subsequently, a normal fertilization occurs. Sperm swims up through the fallopian tubes to reach the released egg cells and fertilize them. The procedure of intrauterine insemination is the least complicated and the least invasive method used in the treatment of infertility, it takes from 15 to 20 minutes.
The IUI may be conducted both during the natural and stimulated menstrual cycles.
Medical reasons for IUi:
- cervical factor (man's sperm are immobilized when they enter the cervical canal of the cervix);
- ejaculatory-sexual disorders (reduction of the concentration of sperm in ejaculate, high viscosity of seminal plasma, retrograde ejaculation also called dry orgasm);
- the presence of antisperm antibodies;
- ovulatory dysfunction that can be treated;
- scarring on cervix and other cervical changes;
- infertility of unknown origin;
- in case of immunological infertility.
The IUI can be carried out in two ways:
- fertilization by partner’s sperm (AIH - Artificial Insemination Homologous/ Husband);
- AID - Artificial Insemination by Donor.
Cases when donor sperm is needed:
- male factor of infertility. Spermatozoa (sperm cells) are absent in male ejaculate;
- hereditary diseases (genetic disorders) of men;
- a woman has no sexual partner.
According to statistics, the most chances of success have women who are under the age of 35, have passage through both fallopian tubes and take medications to stimulate ovulation.
- age of a woman is more than 40 years old;
- lack of passage through fallopian tubes;
- presence of inflammatory, tumorous and hyperplastic processes of the uterus or other organs;
- somatic and mental illnesses, that are contraindications;
- before pregnancy (according to a specialist's report).
Women that try and cannot get pregnant sometimes need additional help. This procedure is as close as possible to the natural conditions and fertilization occurs without any interference.
Additional details on our partner’s website: https://parensfertility.com